Thursday, May 19, 2011

HAVE YOU HEARD?

Yes, I'm back in Malacanang.
After almost a year of hiatus...covering beats like Special Reports and Congress...
I'm back in the Palace ---
this time covering the newly installed President of the Philippines, Benigno Simeon Aquino III.




To some of my followers who have no clue who this guy is...
Aquino is the son of the country's two democracy icons.
One was assassinated for his political beliefs.

His famous line: "The Filipino is worth dying for."







The other was just a mother and wife who suddenly found herself right smack in the middle of the country's battle for democracy.
She succumbed to cancer last year amid millions of Filipinos praying for her recovery.

Her famous line: "The Filipino is worth living for."





Being president was never part of the plan of then Senator Aquino.
But on the day of his mother's death, clamor for him to run for office eventually catapulted him to power.




I've always been vocal of my opinions about this guy but I'll be keeping an open mind from now on.
Considering I'm covering him already, it's best to stay neutral as much as possible.

One thing's for sure though...
Just like any of us, he'll have his ups and downs.
My only hope is that he'll have more UPS than DOWNS in the next five years.


"A reporter once asked me what has changed in my life since I assumed the presidency. 
My answer I think was simple enough.
 I think it is easier to say, What has remained unchanged?" 


This was part of the President's speech in Davao last Wednesday.
A member of the Malacanang Press Corps told me I was the reporter the president was referring to.
I did ask him this question on my first day back...exactly a year after the country's first ever automated elections.
Anyone could have ask him this same question though...
But if he was indeed referring to me...what a way to jumpstart my return to Malacanang, don't you think? :) Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. Ooh, if that's true, that's pretty cool. (: well I'd rather not voice out my opinions on the president here (hehe), so all I will say is Congrats Roma! You've always belonged in Malacanang, imo. (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, thank you bestie!!! :) i heard you have a billboard already! haha. congrats!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Roma! No wonder you're in Malacanang! :) And can I just say, Kris na Kris si Cory in that picture! haha!

    http://samalamode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll do a great job. I can only hope your president does the same. Some people blossom when leadership is thrust upon them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam!!! thank you :) and yeah, Missus Aquino does look like Kris in the black and white photo! At first I thought, 'Is that Kris?' But then I realized, Kris would have been a kid then so..no...that's the late Cory.

    Ric, I do hope that'll be the case... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats Roma and good luck! im sure you'll do a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks fashioneggplant...it's a good thing I don't really need to adjust too much :) i've covered this beat for a few years before being assigned to special reports :D not much have changed here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooohh he remembers you!
    You are awesome, lil Miss ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks my equally awesome friend Meream!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you're doing well--don't remember you ever taking such a long break from posting! Everything okay???

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not a FAN of that guy... but I surely am a fan of yours. That was an awesome question. Sadly, he didn't answer it well... I expected him to say something like that. Hahahahaha!

    Awesome work Roma! I wanna do something awesome like that...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my site! :)